“Take what helps, leave the rest.”
ATCB Tips to "Fill Your Cup"- President, Charlotte Boston, MA, LCPAT, ATR-BC, President
1. BREATHE slowly and deeply. Use your full lung capacity. We have to breathe anyway, so make it count. Deep breathing can engage your parasympathetic nervous system to lower stress hormones.
2. EXERCISE take a walk, do yoga, chair exercises, run, whatever makes you feel good.
3. MAKE A GRATITUDE LIST write down all the things, people you are grateful for.
4. GO OUTSIDE enjoy nature and the beauty that surrounds you, take in some fresh air, hug a tree, listen to the birds singing.
5. CATCH UP on tasks around the house, or that have been sitting around for a while, keep busy.
6. PRAY, meditate, and use other tools to build your faith and resilience.
7. KEEP IN TOUCH with one another by email or phone, video, reach out, share personal stories. Take this opportunity to 'go viral' creatively.
8. CREATE to themes on or colors of stress, fear, safety, change, hope, make a mandala, or complete a project that you've meant to get back to, keep an art journal or make an altered book; we know how beneficial this can be to help us adjust, heal, learn and discover.
9. EXPLORE the use of digital apps focused on relaxation and stress management; many that are available for free on your smartphone and can be additional resources for support.